Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Water is Rising

The Red River is on it way to crest. It is currently 29.24 and they are saying 38 feet by Friday. Last year it was a record 40.8 feet. I was sure to take a shower tonight as they are going to ask us to conserve water soon. I think we all have enough clean underwear....

I have a friend whose brother-in-law is a firefighter and they were needing food. They just switched to 24 hour shifts so they appreciate food. I was able to clean out my freezer and give five pounds of cooked (but frozen) ground beef, four bags of shredded cheese, three cans of diced tomatoes, a can of chillies, a liter of root beer, and four boxes of ice cream, and two gallon bags of homemade Chex mix. My friend and her sister are preparing Chili for the firefighters, so I brought my huge white roaster. I was so excited to be able to help, share, and clean out my freezer all at the same time. not to mention that I got all of these things on sale so that was gratifying too. I know it is not about me and these folks work hard for us.

My piano student lives up in Oakport where they had 1.2 million sandbags last year. The city is using clay dikes instead this year and hope to only use 200,000. My student's family got the call that their property wouldn't get any help from the dike, so they are left to sandbag and use straw. She still came to lessons today, because they needed something normal today. I wanted to send home food with them too, so I looked in the freezer and found a few soups. I was able to send home three cottage cheese containers full of soup with them. At the last minute, I thought to send two loaves of bread, two packages of lunch meat, and a three pound block of cheese slices. I feel like it wasn't much, but every little bit helps. I told them that their daughter is more than welcome to come play with Kendra.

So, now we wait.

No comments: